And the Winner Is: The Results of the Gear S3’s Watch Face Design Contest
Last month, Samsung, in collaboration with watchface customization platform Facer and aBlogtoWatch, the world’s leading watch blog, launched a contest that challenged designers, developers and watch aficionados to, utilizing Facer, create their own unique watchfaces for Samsung’s Gear S3.
The response, quite simply, was overwhelming.
The panel of judges – which included world-renowned watch designer Yvan Arpa, aBlogtoWatch founder Ariel Adams and Ariel Vardi, Co-founder of Little Labs, the team behind Facer – combed through over 2,000 submissions that encompassed a wide range of aesthetics, from more traditional designs to incredibly creative and even outlandish entries.
Each was evaluated based on its quality, creativity and innovative use of the smartwatch platform. After much deliberation, the judges narrowed the list down to these five finalists:
- MbM-Aileron 2 Gold by John Morga
- Muro by JC Dalisay
- Green Army by Jimmy Cheung
- Black Revolutions by HarpoCrate
- HUD by TIKTOK
And now, Samsung is pleased to announce that the Gear S3 watchface design contest’s grand prize-winning entry is: MbM–Aileron 2 Gold, by John Morga! John’s aviation-inspired entry garnered the most votes in the final round, and was also the only design to be universally nominated by each of the judges in the contest’s early stages.
For winning, John Morga will receive cash rewards, as well as the array of prizes awarded to each finalist. These include:
- A Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch
- Design featured on aBlogtoWatch.com, as well as on the Facer platform and Samsung’s social media channels
- Design turned into a functional watchface, available to hundreds of thousands of smartwatch users on the Facer platform
- Enrollment in Facer’s Premium Designer Program, which includes royalties on revenue generated by their designs
Samsung would like to thank all those who participated in the contest and congratulate each of the finalists. Winning designs will be available to download soon via the Galaxy Apps store.